May 8, 2011

My Mom is Awesome.

Once upon a time (aka last June), my Mother came to Chi.na...

You see, this was not just another parental visit. My mom is not a good flier. (to put it lightly). I once thought that we were going to have to ground the plane when she found out (mid-flight) how long our flight to California from Florida was. So, needless to say, a flight to the other side of the world was a really big deal.

But my Momma is brave. And I begged. So she came. I was/am so deeply proud and touched.

While here, she showed her wonderful mom-ness and bought a pink flower hat and wore it around the tourist attractions of Beijing...

really connected with this orphan boy, Thomas, in the hospital and taught him how to say, "bear"...

got hot cups on her feet and fell in love with foot massages...

walked through tea fields...

posed with 800 Chin.ese people for photographs...

ate food she was unfamiliar with, with utensils she was not used to using...

wandered a Buddhist temple learning about a culture/religion that is not her own...

was left alone in a train station in Chi.na to guard the luggage while my sister and I went in search of grub...(this is probably one of my favorite candid pictures of the trip, she was so intense while sitting there alone...hahaha)...

Basically, my mom broke through her fear wall and in doing so, made me realize how much she loves me. Bravery with a purpose is a beautiful thing.


One day, God-willing, I will have children of my own. And maybe (hopefully) those children will lead interesting lives and ask me to do something that is completely out of my comfort zone.

And I will remember what my mother has done for me and I will do it. Because giving the gift of yourself - your time, energy, patience, and gumption - is the best gift. And that is what my mother has given me repeatedly.

Happy Mother's Day to a brave, awesome, loving, determined mother.

Now come back to Chi.na, I miss you.




walk slow. xoxo.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thank you Jessica! What a great pictorial remembrance of my first trip to China!! I love you!