Aug 3, 2012

you say typhoon, I say hurricane.

It's windy out there! 

Our little city is getting pounded by a "typhoon" as I type this. I'm thinking tomorrow I might go stock up on bottled water and non-perishables - my first natural disaster related preparation since I moved here 4 years ago. I'm also thankful I live on the fourth floor out of four floors - buildings in Ch.ina tend to not withstand the elements very well due to quick construction and standards oversights. I think all's good in my hood. No worries. 

Other than the "typhoon" as they call hurricanes on this side of the world, I've been getting along with life just dandy. 

Yesterday I recieved a monster package from home! I am calling it my "birthday package" even though I know my mom would have sent it regardless of the timing. Inside was plastic bag after plastic bag of wonders from home: peppermint tea, chia seeds, cat treats, disposable razors, flip-flops, bras the correct size, dried fruit, and other first world luxuries I think I need. ;) Mushu and I were verryyyyy happy campers yesterday! Thanks, mom! 


he claimed it before I could open it, ha.

new toys! = crazy kitty! 
Things have been going normally with work and class. The hospital is still one of the highlights of my week. My doctor lovies are awesome. Yesterday's class was all discussion based with slips of paper asking them questions like, "What is one thing you would never change about yourself?" and "Are the Olympics worth the money it costs the home country?" I love these kinds of more laid back classes that give me a break from constant teaching and give them a chance to speak their minds! Win-win for everyone. Good times.


English chit-chat. Music to my ears. 

The view from the 15th floor of the hospital...

love HZ.

Ch.inese class is also going well. I am so, so happy that I decided to finally bite the bullet and hire a teacher. I think timing was everything with finding this chick. I am so glad it all aligned so that we could work together. I find myself critiquing her teaching (in a good way). Today at one point I made a connection between our reading for the day and some previous questions she had asked me. "You are a good teacher!" I exclaimed. I feel like as a language teacher for several years, my standards for private tutoring are high and I have hit the jackpot with this girl. (Can you tell I'm happy about my classes? haha). If anyone needs a tutor in HZ let me know. I'll introduce you to the best one in town!


a satisfied customer. 

And because I like to spell it all out on the internet (and because in five years I want to laugh at myself)...I have been getting phone calls from Ethiopia.

Turns out that African misses me as much as I miss him. Dang.

My girls and I got together last night for wine, contemplation, and solicited advice. And let me tell you, I have some smart, wonderful, intuitive friends.

Relationships are scary, tricky things sometimes. Throw in distance, a rocky previous break up, and living on different continents and we have a recipe for something in the movies. But this is not the movies, this is real life.

I want to be a mature, wise woman who makes good choices that sometimes involve sacrifice of current happiness. I also want to be vulnerable, accessible, and open to miracles. I want to be hopeful, not naive.

I want to believe that there is someone "better" for me and more in tune with my "plan." I also want to steer clear of youth-group lingo that puts situations in a box. I know that who someone is at 24 is not who they are going to be forever - these are formative years, but not every decision someone makes now is permanent. Our lives ebb and flow. We grow and change. Do I judge someone based on their current state? Or believe that all people deserve patience as they grow, including myself?

This, little blog, is the mini-typhoon in my head.

I really hope that in a few years I can look back on these thoughts and think,"Oh silly girl, it all worked out greater than you ever dreamed."

Because it always does.

I hope there aren't any typhoons in your hood! ;)






walk slow. xoxo.


No comments: