May 7, 2012

a bride-to-be and a birthday boy.

There was a lot of celebratin' going on in my life yesterday! 

A few friends and I planned a surprise bridal shower for a friend who met her Mr. Right here this year and is planing a shot-gun summer wedding. These two are a great example of, "when you know, you know." 

Mushu was not a fan of my baking all day for the parties. He would much rather I give all my attention to his furry face! ha. He let me know his feelings by using the bags of walnuts for my brownies as a pillow...

I love my cat a sickening amount.
 The party went well and I think everyone had a great time. The Bride was surprised and looked beautiful and the room was filled with genuine joy. It was interesting to corral the Chin.ese guests who were not aware of bridal shower protocol. (bridal showers don't happen here in the same way.)

We had a dessert table and a home-made paper sash...


Ring pops from Chin.ese Wal-mart...


and a Ch.inese propaganda banner exlaiming their love in Chine.se!

We played games that tested their opinions of each other...haha...


The whole gang and the love-birds...


traditional American bridal shower games were a hit, even if chaotic to explain and see through to the end...


The bridal shower was precious and fun. Unfortunately, I had to leave a little early because someone's birthday party was planned for the same day (stressful)...

I headed home for a quick change and then met the Ethiopians (as I lovingly refer to my recently adopted crowd) at the Reggae Bar to celebrate Yoni's birth. His friends are welcoming and fun and we danced late into the night. His roommates brought cake and the band sang to him.


After two parties yesterday, I was exhausted today. (and wondering why life's events couldn't be spread out more!)

As I looked through my pictures today, I was taken aback by how diverse and interesting my life encounters are. In an evening I celebrated two Milwaukians' nuptuals and my Ethiopian boyfriend's birthday.

That's awesome. The world is small. And people are all the same - we may not celebrate the same, but we recognize events in each others lives with gatherings...and cake. Thanks goodness cake is universal. :)

Happy Wedding to Zach and Steph and Happy Birthday to Yoni.





walk slow. xoxo. 

1 comment:

Miss Lynda said...

Hi our Miss Jessica! Just got a chance to catch up with your blog. You sound and look like one very busy and very happy girl! Thanks for all the pictures, they are great! Helps us identify with where you are and what you are doing. The shot of you and Yonathan is super. I am guessing that you took it yourselves?! (I never could get the hang of doing that.) Forgive your old Godmother for worrying just a little bit about our girl. Be happy, take each day, one at a time, as the gift it is and unwrap it, care-
fully. Now, upward and onward to the stairs and then the Great Wall! We are expecting great news and awesome pictures of your finish! Love you honey.