Mar 22, 2012

thoughts on teaching.

The most repeated commandment in the Good Book is, "do not fear."
It's in there over 200 times. (heard this once and never forgot it.)

One day when I write my story, I will remember this week as interesting. Different than the rest in that there was a conglomeration of emotional need swirling around me. And in a twist of roles, I was the giver of care rather than the recipient.

Being a teacher is an emotional job. If you do it right. (so is being a friend).

I've learned that it does not matter if my students are Chine.se or American, they still have needs and desires, and dreams and fears that require a teacher's presence. A tangible, personal guide.

I have fear that I am not adequate enough to be that person for my American students. When confronted with a phone call from my boss today to, "take care of" a situation - I instantly had a jolt of fear that I am not mature enough, grown-up enough, experienced enough to "handle" things.

Dude, I'm a mess myself. I wanted to say to him.

But then I remembered my role as teacher. It is not a role that requires perfection, but rather, empathy. I do not need to have all the answers, I just need to be able to point my students in the right way to find the answers themselves.

Thats much less scary of a task.

Today I am thankful for my job. I am thankful to be a teacher. I am thankful that my mom is a great teacher so that I have an example. I am thankful to have my career jump-started while living in Chi.na.

While taking care of my, "first of many incidents," according to my boss, I am reminding myself, so that I can remind my students, "do not fear."

Easier said than done. But we forge ahead, nonetheless.





walk slow. xoxo.




No comments: