Sep 13, 2011

Mid-Autumn Festival.

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

Today is the day for mooncakes, and whatever else marks the significance of the Mid-Autumn Day. (3 years in Chi.na and I still can't get all the holidays straight. But to my defense, I don't think the Chine.se can either...)

I was invited by Lin to a lunch with Michael and our friend Judy. I was allowed to, "bring one friend," so my friend Yemi came along too. I think they wanted to talk some serious things in Ch.inese and so thought that if I brought a foreigner friend, then I could be distracted in English/not feel left out while they chatted and didn't have to deal with me. That was really thoughtful. I appreciated Lin thinking of me. She's such a gem. These are my people in Chi.na and I was so happy to spend the day with them celebrating Mid-Autumn-ness.

We met at a backwoods farmer house turned restaurant about an hour outside the city...


Here, you could choose your bird or fish to eat while it was still chirping or swimming (see the cages):


Lucky for us, instead of birds, Lin chose crabs...


And I only obviously shuddered twice while touching the fur on its claws and trying to figure out what parts to injest. I ended up eating two...

After we ate our faces off, it was time for a photoshoot, for some reason Michael did not want to get within 2 feet of me, haha...


And mooncakes!


I sometimes forget Hangzhou has so many mountains around us...


more photoshoot...


then suddenly I found myself dancing with little Asian ladies in matching red shirts...


Oh, you want to see more? Well lucky you, I lost all pride 3 years ago when I stepped into Chi.na and became a big redheaded commodity forced to dance on command and smile when I feel most awkward. Witness my dance lesson by the "boss" lady with awesome hair, and yes I realize now watching this vido that I look preggers/hefferlicious in this dress and no, I did not wash my hair this morning...ugh...






Happy Mid-Autumn Day! Eat a mooncake and do whatever else you're supposed to do! (Dance with Asians? Eat crabs? Take a drive in the mountains? I still don't know...)





walk slow. xoxo.

2 comments:

Mom said...

oh, my gosh!!! I love the video. Tell Michael I recognized his voice in the background. I hope you realize someday the value of these rare experiences. You'll be telling you grandchildren, "One afternoon I got to eat crab on the mountain, eat mooncakes, and dance traditional dances with...". All I can say is, "WOW!"

Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with this video. You are an excellent dancer ;) and SOOOO SKINNYYYY im obsessed with you. you inspire me to go to the gym more often. xoxo - ellie