Apr 11, 2012

8:20pm.

Every day around 8pm I start to watch my phone.

I know that in the next 30 minutes my mom will call. My friends even know the schedule. If my phone rings during this time some friends have been known to call out, "Hi, Mom!" Our routine is dependable and well-known. For the past 3 years she has dialed a Penny Talk number on her way to work to reach her daughter in Ch.ina before her day begins and as mine is ending. Every workday morning. For 3 years.

This is one routine that helps me maintain my connection to my family, my home, and myself. Sometimes all I need is 10 minutes to rattle off to my mom what is going on to see recent happenings in a new perspective. I love our routine and it is one of the most special parts of my life in Chi.na. I honestly don't think I would have made it here this long without my nightly 8pm checkin.

This afternoon I got a package from my mom. So today I got not just two phone calls, but a humongo Christmas-size package full of the good stuff - chia seeds, work out tops, kitty treats, my contacts and a tons of other goodies. I am ecstatic about my new belongings. Things that make life more confortable are always welcome in Chinaville. Our phone calls are priceless, but a few earthly things are nice too. (If I had to choose between stuff and phone calls, I'd take phonecalls in a heart beat).

And I'm not the only one in my household stoked for our gifts from America!



Thanks, Mom!

Talk to you tomorrow!






walk slow. xoxo.

2 comments:

agapelife said...

ooh! I love packages! SO GLAD YOU GET THEM! I love you and your mom talk every day. moms are the best
xoxo

Monica said...

I hope my mom and I can set up a routine like this once I am overseas, I am sure i will need it!