Dec 27, 2009

it's the little things.

I was cleaning out my email inbox today, responding to the flood of "Merry Christmas Happy Everyday" emails that I got from my students and I found this one from last week. Susan is one of my best students, her English is very natural and relaxed. Though she rarely speaks out in class she sends me long emails every week after class explaining something that has been going on with her classmates or some aspect of Chin.ese culture pertaining to whatever we talked about in class. I think she's cool. It's the connections with people like her that make life here so rich. I particularly liked the end of her email and want to share it with you...



Hi,Jessica!
Yesterday is the winter solstice.In China, since ancient times, it has been regarded as significant as the Spring Festival.
Winter Solstice is the first day of winter, which lasts three months. Its seasonal significance is in the reversal of the gradual lengthening of nights and shortening of days.

But we really don't care about the change of the season,we usually get-together under the excuse that today is a festival,haha~~Usually In Northern China, people eat dumplings or noodles on the winter solstice,while the traditions in South China are to make and eat Tang Yuan(汤圆), a kind of stuffed ball made of glutinous rice flour. So yesterday evening we were six in the domitory to cook dumplings and Tang Yuan,which makes me miss my own country,my mother always cook the delicious dumplings

but whatever,just like you said,they are all my family,we all together here,it's so happiness.

So I wish you could have a wonderful Christmas.

Susan.




Cheers. xoxo

No comments: