Dec 19, 2009

Anne with an E.

I'm reading Anne of Green Gables for possibly the hundredth time.
And this morning as I lay in my bed covered in what seems like dozens of blankets and wishing I could have some hot cocoa, I came across an Anne-ism that completely defines what it feels like to be on the brink of graduating with your masters but still unsure of the outcome.

"For we pay a price for everything we get or take in this world; and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won, but exact their dues of work and self-denial, anxiety and discouragement."
- Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

The Dean of my program has given me an extension until the end of December to have my thesis approved since my advisor has been mostly MIA. Having an invisible or difficult advisor has made my hopes of graduating this semester slowly diminish over the past few weeks, (which in turn has made me slightly unbearable - sorry dear, patient friends).

I have been encouraged by the last 24 hours and I truly believe that "all things work together for good" even if sometimes we don't know why the craziness is happening.

I lit a fire under the butt of my advisor yesterday (think - this email must be from a red head because it is polite yet caustic in nature) and heard back from him promptly. Dealing with the 16 hour time difference has not been smooth sailing either, but I am confident that once that man wakes up in sunny Southern Cali, he will email my Dean in Shanghai all the necessary documents for me to earn that little piece of paper that says, "DONE, now go live your life, little one. It's over."

I have been given grace in a difficult time, this extension has de-burdened me.

Thanks Anne with an E for the encouragement, now I'm off to eat some noodles.

cheers. xoxo.

2 comments:

agapelife said...

"think - this email must be from a red head because it is polite yet caustic in nature) "
hahahahahahahahHAA!
OH MAN, do you think it's in our redheaded genetics to be that way?

oh I love words, and I love you.
All things work together for the good of those who love him.

Anonymous said...

Let us know this man's name so your Dad can call and also give him some "love". :) Mom

P.S. Dont' make MOM call or he's REALLY in trouble! Ha!