Jan 16, 2011

walk with me for awhile.

Here's a little snippet into my Chi.na life that I don't always share on the bloggy:

...sometimes I want to forget I live in Chi.na. Sometimes I hole up in my home, close the curtains, stay in my pajamas, and don't go outside for over 24 hours.

No one speaks Chin.ese to me. I don't speak Chine.se to anyone. I don't think about Ch.ina. I don't think about Amer.ica. I just...exist. There is no language, there is no cultural barrier to cross, there are no Chin.ese people making me go berserk...there's just me...in my bed, reading books, reading blogs, reading poetry....just living.

About once a month this happens - when I can't physically do anything that involves Chi.na.

This weekend was one of those times. And it was glorious. I read the book, Water for Elephants (SO GOOD) and got caught up on bootlegged uploads of The Batchelor (Brad Womack, really?)

I didn't take a shower, change out of my pajamas, eat a hot meal, or even leave my bed for about 30 hours.

When I woke up this morning I was refreshed, ok with Ch.ina again, and not really sure if my legs remembered how to move.

A friend came over and after she left, I decided to shower and go for a long walk since I basically lived as a vegetable for the past 36 hours.

I was reminded what a beautiful place I live in. Hangzhou is one of the prime tourist cities in Chi.na. I'm lucky to be here - it's much more "liveable" for foreigners than other parts of the country. And it's just plain beautiful.

I started at my house and walked about 10 minutes to the bamboo forest. Yes, I live within 10 minutes of a bamboo forest. ha...

it was peaceful and not many people were out walking. Must have been the 30degree temp...

I made my way for about an hour down Longjing Road, the road that leads to the tea fields. While I was walking I was reminded a little of Disney World because there are tourist busses that pick up passengers along the way, much like the Disney busses, haha...

A Chi.nese guy was following me taking my picture, so I made him take this of me. Public Service Announcement: If you're gonna be a stalker, I'm going to put you to work...(I'm lookin lovely in my 6 layers...)

Then I mae my way into the Hangzhou Flower Park...

snapped this pic, and then turned around because there was no one there and the sun was going down...
eventually I made my way to the waters of West Lake, Hangzhou's most famed destination...

it was cold, but I was happy to be out of the home and walking...

I looped my way back around and made it back to a main street by my uni, then walked to the grocery store. The lanterns are out for Spring Festival (Chi.nese New Year)...

the grocery store always has such friendly animal greeters, today it was Mr. Piggy...


It was a great weekend to recoop, rejuvenate, forget for a little bit, not think about the Big "C" and then go for a walk and remember that I do in fact love it.

My last final exam is tomorrow afternoon and then my class is having a goodbye dinner. Should be presh.

I hope things are good in your hood.



Walk slow. xoxo.

2 comments:

Miss Lynda said...

Hi Miss Jessica! This is your long lost godmother, who finally figured out how to let you know how amazing I think you are. How I love reading your adventures, (and misadventures) as your travel the road of your young life. Thank you so much for taking me along with you. I just love reading everything that you post. What a gal. And to think I knew you when you were just a little bitty!! Love you sweetheart, and am so very proud and in awe of all that you have accomplished, and have yet to do. You are a smart cookie, taking those 30 hours for yourself. Lots of R&R never hurt anyone. Kinda like me when I threaten to get in my car and start driving until I run out of gas and see where I end up.... my idea of a little R&R. Take good care of yourself, and can't wait to see you when you make it back this way. Know you will do just great on the exams, and the dinner will be exceptional, just like you. Love you . Miss Lynda

Ke Xiao Mei said...

i love you, Miss Lynda.