Nov 23, 2015

Scenes from the Classroom.

Entering into a new culture means a lot of observation, listening, and putting puzzle pieces together to figure out slivers of what is going on. I love this part of living abroad and it's been fun/exciting/strange/weird to become immersed in Rwandan post-genocidal culture after spending 1/4 of my life in China.

So much of my observation has occurred with my students in the classroom. For example, during a game of Scattergories last week I was given many answers that would never have made their way onto lists in America or China. It was an opportunity for amusement as well as a lesson for me, the teacher!

Topic:
Excuses for being late

Culturally interesting answers given by students:
It's raining (Rwandans do not do anything when it rains)
There is no electricity/water in the house
The road is too muddy

Topic:
Drinks/Food

Culturally interesting answers given by students:
Cassava
Maize
Sorghum
Goat
lice (Rwandans mix up the L and R sounds and when writing use them interchangeably - so this meant 'RICE')

Topic:
Things found in a home

Culturally interesting answers given by students:
Cattle (they meant kettle)
jerrycans (for water)
mosquito net

The game was a fun and interesting reminder to me, the newcomer, that so much of our existence here revolves around water and electricity and mosquitos.

I'm continuing to watch, listen, and observe to get to know this new culture. My classroom is just as educational for me as it is my students.

Here are some photos of my students playing "Activate" games that have been developed and distributed by the American English Program of the US State Department. Fun, fun for all. Before students go home to cattle in their house and eat lice. (jk jk haha).









walk slow. xoxo.


No comments: